Geriatric Care Management
Seniors with chronic physical or developmental conditions often require coordination of multiple physicians, expert knowledge of rehabilitation and assistance in obtaining home care services. If you have noticed physical decline, increasing confusion, escalating healthcare costs and an inability to handle routine tasks in an elderly family member or loved one, it may be time to evaluate the types of support services available.
Geriatric care management is the professional assessment, planning, coordination, supervision and management of healthcare and quality-of-life services. It is a preventive, proactive approach to healthcare that reduces the risk of hospitalizations, nursing home admissions and healthcare costs. Assets can be preserved through planning, cost control and supervision of daily needs.
Geriatric care managers are trained to see beyond the obvious to recognize clues that may only be visible to healthcare professionals. A geriatric care manager will listen to your concerns, visit your home and recommend options for improved quality of life, healthcare services and cost containment. Services include:
- Special needs assessment and management
- Creation of a full-spectrum care plan
- Referrals to professionals and specialists
- Coordination of services to maximize quality of life
- Assistance with medical and financial planning
- Daily telephone assurance service
- Healthcare bill auditing, review and payment services
- Surviving spouse programs
- Alternative living arrangement assessment and planning
- Medication management
- Nutrition and dietary management
- Pre- and Post-hospitalization care coordination
- Nursing home advocacy
- Video inventory of valuables
- Environment and safety evaluations
- Coordination of in-home help
- Identification and reduction of exploitation risks
- Benefits and entitlements procurement
ResCare HomeCare geriatric care managers are trained health and human services specialists who are committed to helping older adults and others with chronic needs attain their maximum functional potential. We subscribe to the National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers’ Pledge of Ethics.
Depending upon your needs, ResCare HomeCare can provide stand-alone geriatric care management services by the hour or as part of a monthly retainer. For greater savings, we can bundle these services together with all or part of the services recommended in our plan of care. Such bundling allows our geriatric care managers to more efficiently monitor the day to day delivery of in-home and other services, helping to improve the continuity of care and cost containment.
Contact the ResCare HomeCare branch office nearest you for more information about care management services available in your area. Care management services vary by location and are not currently available at all ResCare HomeCare branches.